The Member States of the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM) declared 28 November as the ‘International Day of the Mediterranean’
The 42 UfM Member States declared the ‘International Day of the Mediterranean’ at the fifth edition of the UfM Regional Forum, which was a special one as it happened 25 years after the launch of the Barcelona Process.
Coinciding with the anniversary of the Barcelona Declaration of 1995, which laid the foundations for the creation of the Union for the Mediterranean, the ‘International Day of the Mediterranean’ will be observed on 28 November every year.
The celebration’s aim is to foster a common Mediterranean identity and raise awareness about the efforts undertaken by all the stakeholders who work on a daily basis to enhance cooperation and integration in the Euro-Mediterranean area. The cultural dimension will also be an important component as it will provide an occasion to hold events, exhibitions and festivals across the region with a view to strengthening ties between the two shores, promoting intercultural exchange and dialogue, and embracing the diversity of the region.
The 5th Union for the Mediterranean (UfM) Regional Forum was held virtually under the title ‘25years: Building a Stronger Mediterranean’. Ministers also agreed to particularly direct efforts in the coming year towards further integrating economies through the promotion of trade and investment, encouraging climate action and sustainable models for growth, and supporting digital transformation whilst maintaining the UfM’s longstanding focus on both women’s empowerment and employment, especially amongst young people.
source: Union for the Mediterranean https://ufmsecretariat.org
photo courtesy: Philipp Klausner
- Clima-Med at COP26 “Racing to 1.5°: cities mainstreaming evidence-based climate&energy policies in Europe& Mediterranean” December 3, 2021
- Clima-Med at COP26 ” Climate Action in the Mediterranean” (November 2, 2021) December 3, 2021
- Switching to Renewable Energy is an Urgent Priority in Batloun, Lebanon * December 3, 2021
- Global Observance of World Cities Day 2021 in Egypt Calls for Action on Climate Change November 12, 2021
- COP26: How are cities in Europe and the Mediterranean implementing evidence-based climate & energy action? October 29, 2021
- COP26: Clima-Med will demonstrate innovative funding models mainstreaming climate action in the South Mediterranean region October 29, 2021