Fourth Clima-Med Steering Committee Meeting emphasizing the importance of mainstreaming climate actions at local levels in the context of the coming CoP26
After the 4th UfM Ministerial Conference on Environment and Climate action where ministers have agreed to join forces on working towards circular and efficient economies and before the world gathers for CoP 26, the fourth Steering Committee meeting of the Clima-Med project was held virtually on October 28, 2021.
Clima-Med fits perfectly in this context as it works with Local Authorities, with central authorities, with civil society, and on mobilizing finance for local climate action as Stefano Dotto – Head of sector for Climate Change, Energy, Environment, and Connectivity at DG NEAR – sets the scene in his introductory remarks. Stating the EU objectives, means, and will towards its ambitious targets in reducing gas emissions, he also stressed the importance of bringing about bold and prompt climate action from willing countries to achieve expected success.
The meeting brought together more than 65 participants from a wide range of stakeholders in South Mediterranean beneficiary cities, partners from EU partner institutions such as the Joint Research Centre (JRC), Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy (GCoM), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Union for the Mediterranean (UfM) and financial institutions such as the AFD, UNCDF, the World Bank, to name a few.
The Clima-Med team reported on the regional project progress, the engagement of National and Local Authorities, and the preparation of activities planned to take place during the next phase.
The presentations and discussions also focused on the important results achieved during the last period despite COVID conditions, spanning all key themes covered by the project in its three work packages: Sustainable climate action plans development, participatory preparation of Climate Action Strategies, Climate Mitigation and Adaptation projects, concrete replicable projects, mobilizing climate finance and funding proposals approaches, and raising awareness and communication actions.
The individual presentations are available on the Clima-Med website.
- Global Observance of World Cities Day 2021 in Egypt Calls for Action on Climate Change November 12, 2021
- COP26: How are cities in Europe and the Mediterranean implementing evidence-based climate & energy action? October 29, 2021
- COP26: Clima-Med will demonstrate innovative funding models mainstreaming climate action in the South Mediterranean region October 29, 2021
- Fourth Clima-Med Steering Committee Meeting emphasizing the importance of mainstreaming climate actions at local levels in the context of the coming CoP26 October 29, 2021
- Luxor to celebrate World Cities Day on 30-31 October October 25, 2021
- Radio interview with Clima-Med’s coordinator in Egypt – Dr Ramadan Seddik (French) October 17, 2021