Third Steering Committee Meeting reaffirming common engagement between EU and Local Authorities in the Mediterranean on the importance of climate actions and future
The third Steering Committee meeting of the Clima-Med project was held virtually on the 1st of April 2020 in collaboration with the Directorate-General for Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations (DG NEAR). The Clima-Med team reported on the project regional progress covering a two years period, the engagement of National and Local Authorities as well as the preparation of activities planned to take place during the next phase.
More than 50 participants took part in the morning and afternoon sessions of the meeting together with partner institutions and Ministries, Focal Points and representatives of municipalities from the eight South Mediterranean countries covered by the project. The European Union representatives reiterated their commitment to continue their work on Climate action and announced that the EU will dedicate 30% of the envisaged funding for External Action on climate change. They also introduced the EC’s Green Deal and emphasised on the significant external dimension of the initiative.
The presentations and discussions focused on the results achieved and the proposed work plan, spanning all key themes covered by the project such as: the access to climate finance for the implementation of the Sustainable Energy Access Action Plans (SEACAPs) , the progress and challenges in the preparation of SEACAPs to 80 cities and the importance role of the Helpdesk, the set up of the Covenant of Mayors for the Mediterranean (CoM Med) and its website, the Climate Action Strategy (CAS) developed for each country, and the planned communication actions.
The individual presentations are available on the Clima-Med website.
- Clima-Med action and its beneficiary cities showcased in the Climate Chance Observatory new report April 8, 2021
- Third Steering Committee Meeting reaffirming common engagement between EU and Local Authorities in the Mediterranean on the importance of climate actions and future March 29, 2021
- New Cooperation Agreement guarantees the continuity and future of the MedECC Secretariat, hosted under the hospice of Plan Bleu March 25, 2021
- The European Commission published two Corrigenda and Answers to Clarifications on the Call for Proposals – Climate for Cities (C4C) in the Southern Neighbourhood March 19, 2021
- A new EU call for proposals for the Climate for Cities (C4C) is out to finance the implementation of SECAP projects! February 16, 2021
- UfM Ministers commit to strengthen the blue economy sector and promote sustainable growth in the Mediterranean February 15, 2021