Clima-Med participated in the Climate Diplomacy Week in Cairo on Tuesday 25th of September. The event was organized by the Delegation of the European Union to Egypt and in the presence of Ambassador Ivan Surkoš, Head of the EU Delegation, together in partnership with the Egyptian Ministry of Environment.
At the start of the inauguration session, Ms. Federica Pesce, Planning and Programming Assistant – Regional Programmes Neighbourhood South at the Directorate-General for Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations (DG NEAR) and Task Manager for the Clima-Med project has publicly launched the project.
Following her declaration, the Team Leader, Naguib Amin, gave an overview of the project’s activities and how it is building on the results of previous EU-funded initiatives, such as CES-MED and Clima South.
H.E. Egypt Minister of Environment, Dr. Yasmin Fouad, showed great interest in the planned actions and engaged in a discussion on its implementation mechanism and called for an effective cooperation among all stakeholders towards sustainable achievements.
The EU Ambassador in Egypt Ivan Surkoš reiterated EU’s commitment to support Egypt in combating climate change: “Climate change is a new challenge for all of us. We need to modify and adapt the way we produce and consume our resources to make it more sustainable and resilient”. The one-week forum highlighted pressing Climate Change objectives, while stressing the links with other Sustainable Development Goals such as green finance, renewable energy, sustainable land use, poverty eradication and clean transport. The ongoing climate-related projects funded by the EU in Egypt amount to 700 million euros in grants. The EU supports companies and factories to reduce the air and water pollution resulting from their work and collaborates on these issues with the Governorates in Egypt to advance the sustainable protection of environment through solid waste management programmes.
- As part of their progress, all Clima-Med beneficiary cities in the south Mediterranean are preparing their Sustainable Energy Access and Climate Action Plan, SEACAPs that will be shared soon on this platform. January 10, 2022
- Clima-Med at COP26 “Racing to 1.5°: cities mainstreaming evidence-based climate&energy policies in Europe& Mediterranean” December 3, 2021
- Clima-Med at COP26 ” Climate Action in the Mediterranean” (November 2, 2021) December 3, 2021
- Switching to Renewable Energy is an Urgent Priority in Batloun, Lebanon * December 3, 2021
- Global Observance of World Cities Day 2021 in Egypt Calls for Action on Climate Change November 12, 2021
- COP26: How are cities in Europe and the Mediterranean implementing evidence-based climate & energy action? October 29, 2021