The Head of the European Union Delegation in Egypt – Ivan Surkoš gave the first prize to the winner in the Clima-Med Photo Contest for the #MENA region – Mr. Mohamed Rahman.
The ceremony took place in the premises of the EU Delegation in Cairo, on March 5th, where Mr. Rahman and Clima-Med’s project coordinator in Egypt, Dr. Ahmed Sedky, were received by H.E. Ivan Surkoš.
The first prize winner is a 33-year-old freelance photographer from Egypt, who worked as a photojournalist for 5 years with a daily newspaper in Egypt . Mr. Rahman received a DSLR camera and a Certificate from Clima-Med – Acting for Climate in South Mediterranean for his photo, illustrating the Pollution of Lake Manzala.
At the ceremony, H.E. Ambassador Surkoš has expressed much concern with the environmental and climate change threats, which Egypt is facing, and reiterated EU’s efforts to tackle these through projects such as the Clima-Med project, which are instrumental for the whole region.
The award ceremonies for the second and third prize winners took place earlier in February, at the Clima-Med’s and #UNHabitat workshop, organized in collaboration with the Covenant of Mayors CoM in Beirut, Lebanon.
The second prize winner – Mr. Alain Daoud, a 30 y.o architect received a drone for his photograph ‘’Witnessing the fall’’, while the 3rd prize winner – Mr. Assem Sultan a 25-years old photographer got a subscription for a photo-portfolio platform as an opportunity to share his works with the world.
The regional Clima-Med Photo Competition, was organized by Clima-Med in collaboration with the EuropeanUnion and Human Dynamics, and launched on November 16th to bring awareness on how climate is affecting daily life and landscapes in South Mediterranean region, and to address the urgency of sustainable solutions to diminish the effects of human-induced climate change.
Distinguished members of the jury for the competition were the well-known photographer Wadih Chehaibar, Clima-Med’s Team Leader – Mr. Naguib Amin, Ms. Nadya Boneva Project Director for Human Dynamics and other project stakeholders, who were entitled to make the selection with shortlisted nominations.
- A series of new workshops for Palestine and Jordan cities reveal urgent projects in the context of their SEACAPs development activities with the Clima-Med project November 27, 2020
- Clima-Med’s response to the COVID-19 Pandemic October 22, 2020
- Tackling the climate crisis: how local actions are confronting a global challenge August 11, 2020
- El Guettar commune in Tunisia, developing climate actions ideas for its ongoing SEACAP July 20, 2020
- European Union Delegation visit to Nabeul within the framework of the Clima-Med project and other EU projects May 22, 2020
- Prize for Cities May 11, 2020