Name of City/municipality: Or yehuda
Population: 37,000 (2019)
Area: 6,670 km2
Or Yehuda is a city in the Tel Aviv District of Gush Dan. It is located on the site of the biblical town of Ono. The name was used by Canaanites and then by Israelites as well, all throughout the First and Second Temple periods. Jewish classical writings mention the city as being formerly enclosed by a wall.
Name of Mayor: Liat Shohat
Contact: Ksenia Afranco : firstname.lastname@example.org
The modern town of Or Yehuda was officially established by the State of Israel in 1955, and in 1962 Or Yehuda was recognized as a municipal planning authority, which led to increased development. In 1988, Or Yehuda was declared a city, due to the increase in the number of residents.
The main sectors for which the municipality gives a special support are: Sustainable development, education, and infrastructure.
Main economic activities:
- Revenue from government and local taxes.
- Babylon Ltd., a developer of online translation programs that holds the Guinness World Record for the highest number of downloads of a language solution software, is based in Or Yehuda.
- The National Roads Company of Israel which headquarters are located in Or Yehuda.
Environmental conditions and challenges:
- Rainstorms that cause floods,
- Increase in city population by 30% in the next 10 years
Noise and air pollution from Ben Gurion airport