Clima-Med – Acting for Climate in the South Mediterranean is a 48-month long project launched by the European Union to support the transition of Southern Neighbourhood countries towards sustainable, low-carbon and climate-resilient development.
Building on the achievements of and ensuring continuity with the completed projects CES-MED, SUDEP, Clima South and MED-ENEC, the overall objective of Clima-Med is to enhance the energy security and adaptive capacities of partner countries to become more competitive, increase their energy sovereignty and reduce CO2 emissions. It will support the transition of eight countries from the Southern Neighbourhood (Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia) towards sustainable, low-carbon development, thus contributing to a more stable, efficient and climate-resilient socioeconomic context in the region.
The Clima-Med project will focus on:
- Supporting provision for the formulation of concrete actions and implementation of local Sustainable Energy Access and Climate Action Plan (SEACAPs) by Local Authorities in the Southern Neighbourhood, in line with the Global Covenant of Mayors principles;
- Mainstreaming of climate change governance, as National Authorities in partner countries will be supported in updating their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs), to develop adaptation and mitigation plans and enhance capacities in the field of Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV);
- Climate finance, which is the third key component of the project’s actions. It will facilitate investments and help enable beneficiaries to better access finance mechanisms leading to the implementation of concrete and sustainable actions at national and local levels.
Clima-Med will deliver technical assistance to the project Beneficiaries via two offices – one located in Beirut, Lebanon for the Mashreq region. The second is based in Rabat, Morocco and operates in the Maghreb region. It is implemented by a Consortium led by Hulla & Co. Human Dynamics KG.
- Clima-Med’s response to the COVID-19 Pandemic October 22, 2020
- Tackling the climate crisis: how local actions are confronting a global challenge August 11, 2020
- El Guettar commune in Tunisia, developing climate actions ideas for its ongoing SEACAP July 20, 2020
- European Union Delegation visit to Nabeul within the framework of the Clima-Med project and other EU projects May 22, 2020
- Prize for Cities May 11, 2020
- Clima-Med and the municipality of Tangier discussed cooperation on Climate and Energy Projects April 15, 2020