A training workshop was held by the Clima-Med project with the Federation of Dannieh Municipalities and in coordination with the Union of Municipalities of North Lebanon in the city of Baajoun, Lebanon, on April 8, 2019.
A total of 4 Union of Municipalities covering 80 municipalities from the North area as well as 22 of their Mayors and representatives attended the event. An approach based on an intensive one-day step by step training focused on the principles and content of a SEACAP, how to prepare the ground for such an initiative, the pre-planning requirements and the needed appropriate government structure. The main purpose was to coach local authorities and bring more awareness on the envisaged work for the preparation of SEACAPs, covered by the technical assistance under the Clima-Med project Phase I.
Supporting South Mediterranean cities in the preparation of their SEACAPs: After the welcoming words from the Head of the Union of Municipalities in Danieh, Mr. Mohamed Saadiah, and a swift introduction on the envisaged technical assistance for South Mediterranean municipalities under the Clima-Med project, the workshop took off with a session on climate change mitigation and adaptation at the local level, and the municipal scope of work on pre-planning requirements for Climate Action and Sustainable Energy plans (SEACAPs). Clima-Med experts gave an overview of the necessary content and the steps for the preparation of the Plans, in order to better unlock the potential of local authorities in planning climate initiatives and improve the services provided to citizens.
The Q&A session at the end of the workshop gave Clima-Med experts a good opportunity to grasp useful insights on the needs and capacities of the 80 attending municipalities. This exchange of views and information for the implementation of climate actions prompted the workshop to be a real and fruitful learning experience. All of the municipal representatives have expressed their interest into obtaining support from Clima-Med for the preparation of the SEACAP for their cities.
Attending Municipalities: Dannieh Union of Municipalities, Batroun Union of Municipalities, Zgharta-Caza Union of Municipalities, Menieh Union of Municipalities, Menjez, Bekhoun, Bakour Souna, Ezal, Karecita, Mar’yatta, Bah’wita, Sir Ed Dannieh, Kefer’shelana, Bekaa-Safren and Deir’en’bouh Municipalities.
- As part of their progress, all Clima-Med beneficiary cities in the south Mediterranean are preparing their Sustainable Energy Access and Climate Action Plan, SEACAPs that will be shared soon on this platform. January 10, 2022
- Clima-Med at COP26 “Racing to 1.5°: cities mainstreaming evidence-based climate&energy policies in Europe& Mediterranean” December 3, 2021
- Clima-Med at COP26 ” Climate Action in the Mediterranean” (November 2, 2021) December 3, 2021
- Switching to Renewable Energy is an Urgent Priority in Batloun, Lebanon * December 3, 2021
- Global Observance of World Cities Day 2021 in Egypt Calls for Action on Climate Change November 12, 2021
- COP26: How are cities in Europe and the Mediterranean implementing evidence-based climate & energy action? October 29, 2021