The Clima-Med project has successfully completed its first NCG meeting in Algiers on April 23, 2019, chaired by Mr Kamel-Eddine Belatreche, Secretary General of the Ministry of the Environment and Renewable Energies, and Ms Fazia Dahlab, Director of the Climate Department together with the project focal point, Ms. Saida Laouar the meeting gathered various Algerian institutions active in climate-related areas, Mr. Stefano Corrado – Cooperation Officer from the Delegation of the European Union to Algeria (EUD Algeria), Ms. Charlotte Siegerstetter and her colleagues from the GIZ office, UNDP representatives and Clima-MED team leader, Mr. Naguib Amin and Maghreb key expert Ms. Amel Makhlouf.
The main components of the project and its objectives namely the integration of national climate policies, the development of SEACAPs and the development of a financing strategy were recalled by Clima-Med experts and a roadmap that fits the commitments of the National Coordination Group (NCG) as well as an action plan of the stages of the project were presented in the lead-up of validation.
Interesting disscussions followed regarding what has already been achieved in Algeria in terms of strategies, policies, ambitious commitments, action plans to deal with climate change, and what needs to be done at the national level, with emphasis on the regional and especially local levels which require special attention and efforts with regard to climate all in line with the project components. It was agreed that further actions will be needed in order to promote these achievements at the national level, with emphasis on the regional and especially local levels which require special attention and efforts with regard to climate.
Seeking synergies with other activities and projects in Algeria, Clima-Med team met with Mr. Stefano Corrado at the EU Delegation’s premises and later on with the GIZ team and discussed the need of avoiding duplication of activities by pursuing complementarities, joint actions and the possibilities of materializing cooperation between projects in the future.
- Clima-Med’s response to the COVID-19 Pandemic October 22, 2020
- Tackling the climate crisis: how local actions are confronting a global challenge August 11, 2020
- El Guettar commune in Tunisia, developing climate actions ideas for its ongoing SEACAP July 20, 2020
- European Union Delegation visit to Nabeul within the framework of the Clima-Med project and other EU projects May 22, 2020
- Prize for Cities May 11, 2020
- Clima-Med and the municipality of Tangier discussed cooperation on Climate and Energy Projects April 15, 2020