Clima-Med and CEDRO V Cooperation Action: The ongoing implementation phase of 30 projects in Lebanon
In Lebanon, ongoing collaboration between the EU-funded Clima-Med project and the EU-funded UNDP Country Entrepreneurship for Distributed Renewables Opportunities (CEDRO V) project has rapidly progressed and entered its implementation phase.
Firstly, municipal pilot projects were selected from among those prescribed in the Sustainable Energy Access & Climate Action Plans (SEACAPs), developed through Clima-Med as demonstration actions to replicate. Those comprised projects prepared by the following municipalities: Baakline, Kab Elias, Batloun, Bishmizzine and Union of Dannieh municipalities, with support from Clima-Med.
The projects’ implementation phase progressed in partnership with the selected municipalities for 30 selected sites, showing the lead role of local authorities in terms of using renewable energy in public buildings and providing pilot benchmark technical climate action examples to replicate on more public and private facilities.
The first phase of the implementation covers five sites: Baakline Healthcare Center and municipality buildings in Qab Elias, Batloun, Bishmezzine and Dannieh, where a photovoltaic Solar On-Grid Hybrid System is installed on each facility.
Phase two of the implementation involves providing Baakline Primary School, Qab Elias, Batloun, Hasbaya Secondary Public Schools and Dannieh Primary School with similar photovoltaic Solar On-Grid Hybrid System equipment.
The implementation of installations on Batloun Technical College, Baakline National Library and Nabi Sheet Public Healthcare Center is already progressing in the third phase.
Some of these actions will be directly financed by the EU through the UNDP CEDRO V, while others like Bakhoun technical college will be funded through a Crowdfunding Platform/Mechanism.
Funding guidelines in line with the recommendations of the Climate Finance Strategy, to be prepared by Clima-Med for each affiliated country, will be available to explain the finance models applied by those municipality projects towards their replication.
- Global warming, extreme heatwaves, and forest fires: the IPCC report blows the whistle * August 17, 2021
- A Congratulation Kit delivered to more than 100 cities in the South Mediterranean for their adhesion to the Covenant of Mayors for the Mediterranean, CoM Med. July 17, 2021
- CoM Med – Distribution of Certificates to Adhering Municipalities July 17, 2021
- Call for proposals – film photographer & director June 11, 2021
- Clima-Med workshops to support the final stages of SEACAPs development with Moroccan municipalities June 3, 2021
- International Day for Biological Diversity: UfM warns that the Mediterranean region is a biodiversity hotspot under threat May 31, 2021