The European Commission’s Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development (DG DEVCO) has launched a call for proposals for cities – Call for Proposals of the Partnership for sustainable cities programme
The objective of the programme is to promote integrated urban development through partnerships built among Local Authorities of the EU Member States and of partner countries. The programme focus on strengthening urban governance, while at the same time ensuring social inclusiveness of cities, improving resilience and greening of cities and improving prosperity and innovation in cities.
The objectives of the programme and priority issues are divided in four geographic lots and two horizontal lots:
- Lot 1: Partnerships for sustainable cities in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Lot 2: Partnerships for sustainable cities in Asia and the Pacific
- Lot 3: Partnerships for sustainable cities in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Lot 4: Partnerships for sustainable cities in the Southern and Eastern Neighbourhood
- Lot 5: Partnerships for sustainable towns
The specific objectives of the 2020 Call for Proposals are:
1) Strengthen urban governance
2) Ensure social inclusiveness of cities
3) Improve resilience and greening of cities
4) Improve prosperity and innovation in cities
5) Strengthen institutional resilience in context of fragility
More information is available in the guidelines document for applicants, that have been revised based on the constructive feedback collected from laureate and unsuccessful applicants from the 1st call for proposals (launched in November 2018), from associations of local authorities, as well as colleagues from headquarters and delegations. The guidelines for applicants and the full documentation is available on the EuropeAid website here
The deadline for the submission of concept notes is 27/03/2020 at 12:00 (Brussels time).
DEVCO is also organising an information session on the 2020 Call for proposals on 17 February 2020, at 12:30 (Brussels time). The information session will be both live-streamed and recorded so as to be available also later on. To access the live streaming, on the day of the sessions, follow the link here .
Background: In November 2018, a first call for proposals for a total amount of 53 million euro was launched. The objective of the first call for Proposals was to promote integrated urban development through partnerships built among Local Authorities of the EU Member States and of partner countries in accordance with the 2030 Agenda on sustainable development. The specific objectives were 4 folds: i) to strengthen urban governance; ii) to ensure social inclusiveness of cities; iii) to improve resilience and greening of cities; iv) to improve prosperity and innovation in cities. The Call contained four lots divided into geographical areas: Sub-Saharan Africa; Asia and the Pacific; Latin America, Central America and the Caribbean; and Neighbourhood South and East .
The 2020 call for proposals follows the same approach of the one launched in 2018, with some additional elements (see below the objectives of the call). In order to coordinate the projects financed under the two Partnership for sustainable cities calls for proposals (the one published in 2018 and the one described in the present guidelines) two support programmes will be launched during the 1st half of 2020:
- A Coordination Support programme aiming at promoting knowledge sharing and capitalization of best practices, fostering synergies between the different components of the partnerships, as well as supporting DEVCO services to build in house knowledge about the partnership. The support contract will also be in charge of organizing the annual Coordination Committee meeting in Brussels.
- A Communication and audio-visual support contract aiming at creating a visual identity of the programme as well as producing videos promoting the objectives of the programme.
- Call for small grants on adaptation to climate change December 9, 2020
- As part of SEACAP development activities with the Clima-Med project team, a new series of workshops was held for Tunisian municipalities representatives to assist them in identifying potential climate actions December 3, 2020
- Cooperation between EU Clima-Med and CEDRO V projects in Lebanon November 30, 2020
- The Member States of the Union for the Mediterranean (UfM) declared 28 November as the ‘International Day of the Mediterranean’ November 27, 2020
- As part of the SEACAP preparation activities with the Clima-Med project, a series of new workshops was held with Moroccan communes for the development of climate actions. November 26, 2020
- A series of new workshops for Palestine and Jordan cities reveal urgent projects in the context of their SEACAPs development activities with the Clima-Med project November 23, 2020