Clima-Med has taken a step forward through its participation in COP 27 in Egypt, Sharm El-Sheikh, where it has organised and participated in a range of events whose topics focused on concrete solutions to local climate action finance, women empowerment, adaptation to climate change, energy transition, disaster risk reduction, and social and climate justice.
For two weeks, Clima-med communicated the challenges and needs of the Mediterranean region where the impacts of climate change are most severe. Its mayors, as first responders to the climate emergency and whose role is critical to achieving international climate targets, were at the forefront in panel discussions and interactive roundtables and used this opportunity for networking and partnership building.
A warm thank you to our ladies and gentlemen mayors, signatories of CoM Med, the European Commission and Delegations, partners from the UfM and GCoM initiatives, experts, coordinators and consultants from the Mediterranean region for your time and support for making all of this possible and to the motivated participation of those who attended in numbers.
- Here are the main events that you may watch again:
Highlighting the EU partnership with the Southern Neighbourhood in line with the ‘New Agenda for the Mediterranean’ and the concrete initiatives that contribute to the implementation of joint commitments and priorities, DG NEAR led two sessions focused on:
“Local climate action, finance and partnerships for climate action in the Southern Mediterranean” stressed the main financing issues and difficulties for banks in supporting the local authorities financially, such as the absence of real feasibility studies and not ensuring the project’s sustainability. And it presented EIB opportunities to scale up finances of emissions mitigation in addition to climate adaptation measures, which is considered a priority for the coming years.
“Adaptation to climate change in the Southern Mediterranean – food and water security in focus” side event focused on the main challenges that directly impact human health within the scope of climate change.
- Clima-Med organised a side event in the Mediterranean Pavilion, jointly with UNCDF, to present “Concrete Solutions to Support Access to Climate Finance at the Local Level in the South Mediterranean Region” and propose tangible, replicable models and guidelines for the use of national, local, and international funding actors.
– Full house for “Women leaders and climate change: empowerment, progress & challenges”! An impressive session that witnessed huge success and the participation of wonderfully strong, inspiring women leaders on the panel. We saw and heard amazing women who have touched us as they believe in what they are doing and acting to make an impact.
- The “Energy transition key insights from GCoM signatories” session focused on how to develop, increase and sustain efficiency, precisely in rural cities, and how to encourage citizens that energy efficiency results in consuming fewer resources, which means saving money that could be used to invest in further energy efficiency actions.
- The « Disaster Risk Reduction: Risk Assessment and Solution » panel discussion presented GCoM adaptation and mitigation tools for increasing resilience to climate change and preparing for the adverse impacts of climate change.
- Exploring the theme of social justice and fighting inequalities during the “Just Sustainability, Circular Economy and Social Justice: employment and social policies to support a just green transition across the globe” event, views were shared on how policymakers and practitioners can support and shape justice globally.
- Finally, the Clima-Med project presented during the “Role of Regional Cooperation in the Issues of the Circular Economy, Sustainable Consumption Production” side event the link between Circular Economy and climate change, including CE strategic approaches and circular business models.
If you want to learn further about our work at Clima-Med and join the Covenant of Mayors for the Mediterranean, CoM Med initiative, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Planet on the Mend event 24/10 November 7, 2023
- The Nabeul Ville Verte (NVV) project holds its 2nd Steering Committee meeting September 21, 2023
- Ten new SEACAPs in two Governorates, proving Egypt’s commitment to tackling climate issues September 19, 2023
- Ten Palestinian cities have finalised their SEACAPs, heading towards sustainability and resilience August 11, 2023
- ICU promotes selective sorting and composting in a pilot district in Nabeul August 3, 2023
- Welcoming nine new signatories to CoM Med in Lebanon July 19, 2023