Clima-Med workshop to set up the SEACAP Support Mechanism and endorse the National Coordination Group’s role in Palestine.
Last January 19th, 2023, the first in-person discussion meeting took place in Amman, gathering representatives from the Ministries of Environment, Local Government, and Energy, as well as the Municipal Development and lending Fund (MDLF) and the Project Coordinators in Palestine.
This event was launched in the framework of the Project component on “strengthening governance and mainstreaming climate action in coordination with the relevant national authorities”. It aimed to agree on and endorse the role of the National Coordination Group (NCG), the recommendations proposed in the country’s Climate Action Strategy (CAS), and the proposals to set up the national SEACAP Support Mechanism (SSM).
The Clima-Med team started by outlining the workshop’s main objectives, focusing on Palestine’s primary financial challenges and the coordination between national and local authorities in order to define clear roles and goals for the related national actors with a specific plan and methodology.
Eng. Omar Sharqia, Clima-Med’s Focal point from the Ministry of Environment, praised the united efforts and productivity of his colleagues and those from the Clima-Med team in managing the continuity and sustainability of Clima-Med outputs and preserving what has been accomplished in Palestine along the past ten years.
All participants contributed to making this day’s discussion very fruitful and have committed to taking the essential steps in planning for the SEACAP Support Mechanism (SSM), which will assist Local Authorities in developing and implementing their Climate Action plans. They will also contribute to initiating the Local Climate Coordination Group (LCCG) within the Ministry of Environment as a Facilitator of the NDC’s mainstreaming.
- Planet on the Mend event 24/10 November 7, 2023
- The Nabeul Ville Verte (NVV) project holds its 2nd Steering Committee meeting September 21, 2023
- Ten new SEACAPs in two Governorates, proving Egypt’s commitment to tackling climate issues September 19, 2023
- Ten Palestinian cities have finalised their SEACAPs, heading towards sustainability and resilience August 11, 2023
- ICU promotes selective sorting and composting in a pilot district in Nabeul August 3, 2023
- Welcoming nine new signatories to CoM Med in Lebanon July 19, 2023